Candied Bacon Fudge...a fail-proof (homemade) Father's Day gift for those special men in your lives!
It's really easy, just a little time consuming BUT I managed to whip this together in between tending to a fevered child, serving breakfast TWICE (long story) and having coffee with a girlfriend. Ya. I'm kind of a Super-Mom...today! LMAO!
Candied Bacon Fudge
12 Strips of raw bacon
½ cup brown sugar
3 cups white sugar
2/3 cups of evaporated milk
¾ cup of butter
12 squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
1 jar of marshmallow crème
1 tbsp. vanilla
To Make the Candy Bacon: Coat raw bacon with brown sugar and bake in oven at 350 degrees until crispy being careful not to burn. Remove and cool.
To prepare fudge: Combine sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 234 degrees F, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, marshmallow crème and vanilla; stir until completely blended and chocolate is melted.
Line a 4 1/2-inch x 9-inch loaf pan with foil or baking paper, extending foil over edges of pan. Arrange 3 strips candied bacon in bottom of lined baking pan; top with of the fudge. Repeat with 2 more layers of bacon and fudge. Cover and refrigerate for until firm.
Note: With the extra fudge mixture and 3 pieces of bacon…line a second loaf pan, pour fudge in and crumble bacon and stir in (Now you have one for YOU!)
I EVEN had time to take some pictures of the process for those of you who may be visual, like me!
1. Line a loaf pan with foil or wax paper. (I also gave it a quick spray of Pam to avoid sticking)
2. Coat 12 pieces of bacon with brown sugar and bake in an oven at 350 degrees until crisp...be careful not to burn them
like I did to 4 pieces!
3. Once the bacon is cooked, set aside to cool and begin the fudge mixture by bringing the milk, white sugar and butter to a boil. Be sure to STIR CONSTANTLY for about 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the marshmallow creme, chocolate and vanilla until all is combined. This requires quite a bit if elbow-grease and takes a few minutes.
5. Place 3 strips of candied bacon on the bottom of the loaf pan.
6. Pour fudge mixture over top to cover and a bit more then place 3 more strips of bacon and pour more fudge on top then 3 more strips of bacon and pour enough fudge mixture to fill the loaf pan.
7. So, you are likely gonna have some fudge mixture leftover so quickly line another loaf pan with wax paper (or be prepared and have one pre-lined) and pour the remaining fudge into this loaf pan, crumble the extra 3 pieces of bacon you have and give it a little mix and now you have some for yourself!! (You're welcome..LOL!)
8. For an added touch, I printed out the recipe and mounted it to card stock...
...attached them to gift bags and stuffed them with tissue.
VOILA! A Fail-Proof Father's Day Gift!!!
Happy Father's Day to all those GREAT Dad's out there!
P.S. I wished you lived closer daddy because I know you would have LOVED this! xoxoxo